The Soulvoice: Pen Pouring to Paper


Tuning in to the Soulvoice


I have picked up on consistently journaling once again after a long hiatus! Woop Woop! And its been incredible! I struggle less with writer’s block, and putting my thoughts down on paper has helped me process and synthesise my ideas with much more refinement.

While I still have to type quite a bit due to work and this modern-day life of 2022…  I still clutch to the traditional use of pen and paper. I have retained essential work and study notebooks tracing back ten years which really come in handy from time to time. There are things that simply stick just because I wrote them down. And funny enough, I can decipher my mood and sentiments based on the way I shifted my handwriting. Its like a mood and thought map that only I can understand. 

My process in handwriting helps me direct my senses to interact with the present task at hand. The touch and feel of the paper, the pen, nib, colours, the smell of ink, sounds of scribbling are all part of the experience. What remains is a piece of history that I can then turn back to whenever I like. And on rereading my notes there is something new and different I can discover. 

Handwriting towards healing…

Handwriting is immersive, and the words and stories play out vividly...It helps me tune in deeper to my thoughts, feelings, and emotions and restore lost memories. 

And while over time we have had a multitude of ways evolve  into how we write and capture words through technology…there is for me a real loss when we fully replace handwriting with typing. Some people make the off handed remark that they type so much nowadays that they feel they are loosing the skill to write. 

Well as it turns out there is some truth in this.

A recent survey revealed a huge decline in handwriting when out of 2,000 people, 1-in-6 had not written anything by hand in 6 months!

It seems to be a dying art which is unfortunate because  it has so many unexplored benefits as we attempt to metabolise our life experiences, learn from it and free ourselves from the clutches of miseries.

I cling to hand written letters, postcards, birthday cards. I feel that in this way I get to share part of me etched into the words...and for those who appreciate reading or receiving my missives, often share that they could feel me coming through in the letters and notes I wrote them.

I like the idea of pouring my soul and essence into words…writing them and reading into them  offers me new paths to explore in my pursuit of joy, happiness and freedom.

Journaling the Journey 

Comments

Popular Posts