For Boniface Gachugu - "I am not scared of the Dark"


A friend and poet Boniface Gachugu "Peanut" is in hospital today for major surgery and although he owes me a poem, I thought that my posting today should be dedicated to him and to his quick recovery...

"...Peanut, your friends are all rooting for you..."

A poem dedicated to you from me....

I am not scared of the dark anymore
Not of the glistening lights through the bedroom window
That look like huge orbs of eyes glaring at me as I sleep……

I am not scared of the dark anymore
Not of the sounds outside when the wind howls
Trees creak and the dogs yowl at the wee hours of enchantment

I am not scared of the dark anymore

Not of the sound my pulsing heart and heavy breathing
When sudden silence around me is deafening

I am not scared of the dark anymore
Not even when my furniture comes alive in the dark
And looks like a monster bearing down on me

I am not scared of the dark anymore

Not even when I fear that I might wake up at dawn to find
The whole world has gone and left me behind

I am not scared of the dark anymore
Not when my worst nightmares jolt me to a sweaty start
Praying that the nasty thoughts don’t stalk me as I wake

But I am not scared of the dark anymore
As I can see the glimpse of orange ember
Giving me hope of the sun trickling in

I am not scared of the dark anymore
As it is soon to be conquered by the blinding light of the sun




~Siki~

Comments

Apricot Popcorn said…
Hi, Siki!
Thank you for your poem. My favorite part is the lights coming in through the window. This is like a drawing I did that was of a memory from childhood. You know, when you're eyes are wet from crying and the lights stretch into long streaked patterns? I hope your friend Peanut is doing well. I'll pull for him, too.
Sikiliza speaks said…
Peanut lost his battle bravely, but I know him, his somewhere out there chatting up people being and kind friendly reaching out in the way he does - a way that makes you smile regardless.

We lost a brave soldier today....

all the best Bonny, I know you arent scared...and because of that I will try and be brave...

Siki

Popular Posts