My Tribe of People are KIND

self-portrait, 2017
My kind of people are KIND; While there are people I have love or links to, I am neither drawn nor like them much because they lack a certain something in their fabric that I will call tenderness or compassion. Kindliness or lack or it thereof seeps into every aspect of our lives. It is reflected in what we think, do and say with and to others. This realization for me was a huge epiphany in 2017. 

As I start my 40th year in 2018, I aim to be more discerning and hope to practice more mindfulness. But I also want to declare out loud that my chosen family, my tribe and my people are those infused with KINDNESS. 

My tribe are those who do not let the cold cruel world eat into the goodness their souls has stored up. Those who see and wish greatness in others. Those who are conscious of the consequences of their thoughts and actions on others. Those who think more than just about themselves. Those who do not let insecurity and hurt consume their tender side. Those rather than be divisive, have an inner vision and willingness to see and connect with another soul’s struggles. Those who are not constantly angry because anger has a way of embittering our perceptions or efforts. Those who do not berate and mock others in order to feel better about themselves. Those who never self-justify maliciousness on their part. Those who are truly contrite when they see the error of their ways. Those who value others beyond only what they stand to gain from them. Those who say and do what they mean. Those who take nothing and no one they have for granted. These people, are my people.

I have a visceral reaction to mean-spiritedness and ungraciousness. Every part of me rejects it as I step into the next phase of my life. Distancing myself completely from some people, spaces and opportunities will come at a steep cost, but its a price I am prepared to pay to live and act differently. 

There is after all, too much hate and intolerance in this world as it is to have to consciously wallow in spitefulness in places and spaces I consume, interact and reside in.

My people are a tribe, and they are KIND. 

Comments

Popular Posts